Network Services reports to the Associate Director of Networked Systems and is a part of the Office of Information Systems. The Network Services team is responsible for providing and maintaining network and Internet connectivity to the academic buildings and residence halls. Specific areas of responsibility include physical network connectivity, inter-building fiber network, wireless, building network infrastructure, core network infrastructure, service load balancing, network security, the university firewall, and the Voice Over IP (VoIP) phone system. The Network Services team is also responsible for keeping up-to-date on new technology and best practices to be able to recommend updates and policy to provide a better user experience.
The Network Services department works very closely with the other departments in the Office of Information Systems to help resolve connectivity issues or provide connectivity and support for new software and services.
Network Services can provide support in the following areas to assist with projects/needs or to help resolve an issue:
• Requests for increased wireless coverage
• Issues with wireless
• Requests for network port changes in academic and office spaces
• Issues with wired network connectivity
• Requests for individual VoIP phone deployments
• Requests for department VoIP phone deployments
• Recommendations for Bluetooth or wireless headsets compatible with VoIP phones
• Issues with connectivity to ATU provided online services or services provided by third party entities on the Internet